Mechanical doping?

Tags:

There seems to be a storm in a teacup about ‘mechanical doping’ i.e. riding with an engine in your bike. Personally, I’m in – does Wiggle stock them yet?

6 Responses to “Mechanical doping?”

1. Millsy June 4th, 2010 at 6:39 am

yeah I saw this. surely utter nonsense. don’t believe it for a second. although if McKay flies past me on the bike leg on Sunday then maybe it IS true.

2. Yennings June 12th, 2010 at 7:40 am

Ridiculous story but generating a significant amount of debate on sites like Velocast. Check out http://www.gruberassist.com and the fact the new Colnago EPS has an electric battery mount for the new Shimano Di2 system and you can see how these crazy rumours start.

Apparently the Specialized mechanics had the last laugh but hanging ‘Danger of Electric Shocks!’ signs on the team bikes at some recent race. Brilliant.

I really hope Cancellara is clean (both physiologically and mechanically) as I think he’s incredible and will never forget his superhuman performance in the London TdeF prologue a few years back.

3. Al June 13th, 2010 at 2:28 am

@Yennings – thanks for the comment, and for the Gruber link. It seems the technology is well beyond the prototype stage…

Likewise, Cancellara is one of my road cycling heroes. Watching him ride away from the bunch on this year’s Paris-Roubaix was a stunning sight.

4. @tomjennings June 16th, 2010 at 2:24 am

Agreed – assuming he really was riding away and not just motoring.

The way he absolutely owned Booned on the Muur was pretty incredible, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdIvk1RecSk&feature=related

I would be genuinely sad if he was found to be cheating in any way.

5. Al June 17th, 2010 at 9:27 am

Indeed. As big Phil ponders:

“How did he do that?”

6. Millsy June 29th, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Ditto to the above. Watching him fly past Wiggins in the World TT Champs was a sight to behold; that’s my personal favourite Cancellara moment. I desperately hope it was legit.